AS A REMINDER CLICKING ON THE PHOTOS WILL ENLARGE THEM FOR BETTER VIEWING.
BACKGROUND INFO
SKAGWAY
Skagway is
the smallest borough of and a city in Alaska with a population of approximately
1240. This doubles in the summer tourist
season in order to deal with the large number of summer tourists. Skagway was
an important saltwater port during the Klondike Gold Rush back in 1996. From then through 1998 it as a lawless town
described as “little better than a hell on earth”. The White Pass and Yukon Route narrow gauge
railroad, part of the area’s mining past, now operates purely for the tourist
trade running during the summer months and starts at the port of Skagway. Skagway is a popular stop for cruise ships.
Skagway is
located in a narrow glaciated valley in the Alaska panhandle some 90 miles
northwest of Alaska’s capital city of Juneau.
Skagway is just one of three Southeast Alaskan communities that are
connected via the road system, Klondike Highway, that was completed in 1878 and
allows access to the lower 48 states.
The median
income for a household in the city is around $50,000. Interestingly, Skagway was the setting for
part of Jack London’s book “The Call of the Wild”. The John Wayne film “North to Alaska” was
also filmed nearby.
We'll be returning here next week on our 2nd cruise segment.
LAST EVENING
At 6pm we departed the show and headed to the Meridian Lounge for our cocktail hour. We were the only ones there for quite a while. We headed to Compass Rose at 6:45. Kind of weird as not many dining there until after 7:30. There was an Italian buffet this evening up in Sette Mari so I suspect it was packed. Plus Prime 7, Chartreuse, and Pacific Rim restaurants.
I had talked to Elvin, our sommelier, at lunch and requested he have the Rombauer chardonnay and this Criss Cross old vine zinfandel ready for us. I had looked at previous blogs and saw I liked this lovely red wine on other cruises. Definitely, a favorite of mine! Tonight we sat at one of Joseph's tables. We have known Joseph for many years and he is a great waiter. Will get his photo at dinner tonight as will dine with him again then.
This is Putu who came by our table to say hi. He is from Bali. We have many crew member friends from Bali. Here is my double order of black mussels in a white wine sauce. LOVE them! Rebecca had just a single order. We had to order them special the day before.Joseph brought us a finger bowl to clean our hands after eating them. Water was very warm with lemon. Rebecca and I had requested this veal osso buco special the day before also. It was served on a bed of creamy polenta. Very yummy! Jeff had a filet. Jeff had this chocolate mousse for his dessert.
I had this super delicious banana-macadamia nut pudding with ice cream, of course.
I was the first one to enter the theater when it opened the doors at 9:00. I got our front row seats for the show, "Broadway in Concert", that started at 9:30. We've seen this show many times but first time with this cast of singers and they changed several of the songs they performed. It was a very good show.
TODAY
We were already docked on the pier when I opened the curtains at 6:30 this morning. It was raining lightly with a temperature of 52 degrees.
I asked Putu, waiter, for a LARGE portion of caviar and showed him a photo of what I was talking about from a previous cruise. After photo. Can't wait until next Sunday! I just had half of an order of eggs benedict with a sausage and hash brown potato. After breakfast Jeff and I walked around the ship taking some photos. This is a Carnival and Disney ship. Behind us (not in photos) is a Princess ship.
They were carving ham today. I asked for some wheat bread to make a sandwich. They sent someone down to the bakery to get me some. They make all the breads onboard.
Jeff had went into town this morning and said there were just a few restaurants and many souvenir shops. Most a tour port.
It turned into a pretty nice day here in Skagway. No rain and breaks in the clouds yielding a little sun at times. This afternoon we watched a movie on tv. It was "Epic: Elvis Presley in Concert" a 2025 film release. Kind of a documentary about Elvis.
Elvis has always had a special place in my heart. While I was based at Barksdale AFB in Shreveport, LA, I was fortunate to see an Elvis concert. This was the early 1970's when I was a B-52 pilot there. Then on one of my American Airlines flights as a Captain flying Boeing 727's around 25 years later, one of my F/A's came up to the cockpit and said Elvis's old lead guitar player was sitting back in coach. I immediately told the copilot he had the airplane and I went back and chatted with him. Of course he was a lot older and had some health issues. I told him I was most impressed with Elvis's band which he liked. He asked for my address and later sent me an autographed photo.
Tonight's Compass Rose menu. Looks like I will be have a double order of escargot (on back side of every day's menu) as my starter followed by the chicken parmesan. Of course we'll have our usual cocktail hour at 6pm in the Meridian Lounge.
The comedian is back for his second show so won't be going to the show. We sail again at 9pm for a 92nm sail to Icy Strait (Hoohah port). Arrival time will be 8am tomorrow.
































No comments:
Post a Comment