VANCOUVER, BRITISH COLUMBIA, CANADA
Vancouver is
the third largest metropolitan area in Canada with a population of 2.6
million. Of that 662,000 live in the
city itself. Of course, it is located in
the very southwestern corner of the Canadian Province of British Columbia just
north of the USA border and 230 miles to the north of Seattle, Washington.
Vancouver is
one of the most ethnically and linguistical diverse cities in Canada with over
half of its residents are not native English speakers. Housing affordability makes it is one of the
most expensive cities in Canada and the world. The port is the 4th
largest port by tonnage in North, Central, and South America. Forestry is its largest industry with tourism
coming in at #2. It has the nickname
“Hollywood North” as the film industry is one of the largest film production
centers in North America.
It is one of
Canada’s warmest cities in winter.
Despite also being one of the wettest cities it gets very little snow in
winters.
It is a
beautiful, modern city, whose cruise port (Canada Place) hosts many cruise
line’s cruises to and from Alaska during the summer months. This is where we will begin our Alaska
cruise!
LAST EVENING
We enjoyed some wine and drinks before ordering the pepperoni & mushroom pizza from Uncle Fatih. It arrived in just 30 minutes so I went down to the lobby to pay and get it. We all thought is was very good.
I went to bed and watched a little tv before turning it off but lied there until after midnight. Then I did not sleep much all night. Not sure why but don't feel too tired this morning. The two hour time change is not helping as I was awake at 4am (6am Dallas time) so finally got up at 5am.
TODAY
Rebecca was up by 5:30. I am showered and ready for the day by 6am. Hotel restaurant opens at 6:00 so going down to have a coffee with Jeff as he will be having his breakfast then.
We had a very nice father-son chat while Jeff had his breakfast. I am waiting for Rebecca to get ready and will have my breakfast with her. Rebecca was ready for the day at 8am so we headed down for the breakfast buffet. As Hilton "Diamond" status it was included free with the rooms. Now we have an hour and half to kill until our Blacklane limo arrives at 11:00.
Our Blacklane driver was a newby. I have never stopped at so many lights on our 50 minute ride from the hotel to the port. Then when we arrived the driver had no clue where to go for us to drop our luggage. So we drove around for 20 more minutes. I finally told him to stop and ask someone. I WAS NOT A HAPPY PERSON! No tip for him.
Our limo There were many passengers already at the terminal. We had our special "Diamond" check in line which was basically no one in it. Quite a bit of walking but finally at a long Canadian immigrations line. It went pretty fast as only 20 minutes. Then to have our carry on bags x-rayed. Walked on the ship at 1pm.
We headed directly to our suite as Carlos, Executive Concierge, whom we know, told us our suites were ready when we checked in.
Don't care for the fruit but DO like the Makers Mark. They order and put it on special just for me.
After dropping off our carry on, we headed down the have the communications services manager sign Rebecca's cell phone up for "streaming" so she can watch her soaps. He also set up my phone and laptop for wifi. He did Jeff's phone also.
After that we ran into Anatoli, the General Manager. He immediately recognized us, as did we him. We had a nice chat and he called the Head Sommelier, Jessica, to come talk to us so we could order special wines for our dinner tonight. Anatoli said he would be inviting the 3 of us to dine with him on the Seven Seas Society night. What a great guy and happy to have him as our GM.
Next we went up to LaVeranda for a bite of lunch. Of course Rebecca only eats her Atkins bars for lunch (EVERY day). Jeff had a small sandwich,
I started with my usual anchovies, blue cheese, and some cole slaw. Then I had just a little veal stew. I'm saving my self for Prime 7 tonight. After lunch Rebecca and Jeff went to the library and I went down to make a request that the next night's menus be sent to our suite the day before. This so I can make a special order if I do not care for the menu. After returning to the suite I started working on this post. Our suite steward, Jerson, stopped by to introduce himself and we made some requests of him. He left to go find our checked bags and soon returned with them. So now we are unpacking Finished at 4pm.
We got a welcoming call from Anna, the Cruise Consultant. She informed us that we by far have the most nights cruised on Regent ships. We have 1098 nights before this 14 night Alaska cruise. She said we would be recognized during the Seven Seas Society cocktail party during the cruise.
I went down to deck 5 outside walk way to take some sail out photos and Jeff was there.
Bridge ahead and we went under it.
This is the Meridian Lounge where we will be meeting Jeff at 6:00 for cocktail hour. Our Prime 7 reservation is for 7:00. Should be smooth sailing tonight. Hope I can sleep better tonight.

















No comments:
Post a Comment